Allocations to student organizations | MUSK
The Student Government Association (SGA) sets aside a specific amount each year, the SGA Allocations Fund, to help support particular university-wide events/programs planned by MUSC student organizations. The application process for and potentially receive these funds is as follows…
- The SGA stipend fund will be allocated according to the schedule and merits of each request.
- Applications should be submitted via the SGA Benefits Application Form. The event for which funds are requested must be described in detail with an explanation of how the event will relate to and benefit both the student organization and the MUSC student body. According to the application form for SGA allowances, a complete list of all related expenses and anticipated sources of funding must be indicated.
- Any questions should be emailed to Nour Hijazi, Vice President of Academics, at [email protected]
- Depending on the amount and nature of the request, it will either be voted on by the Executive Officers at the Executive Officers meeting on the Monday preceding a full SGA meeting, or by the wider SGA body on the following Wednesday when a SGA plenary meeting is scheduled.
- One or more representatives of the organization must be ready to present and answer any questions at the CEO meeting and/or the Plenary meeting of the MGA, if necessary.
- If funding is approved, allow a minimum of (2) weeks after a decision is made for funds to be distributed to your organization. A senior executive will connect the organization with a student engagement staff member to facilitate the issuance of funds in accordance with MUSC procurement policies.
- Within (2) weeks of the end of the event for which SGA funds have been received, a full expense report must be submitted to Nour Hijazi, [email protected] Click here to download the expense report form (XLS).
- If the event involves the service of alcohol, MUSC’s policy on serving alcoholic beverages to students must be followed and therefore an event application must be completed on Engage under the organization’s profile and approved by the Dean of the College (or his delegate) or the Executive Director. of student engagement. A copy of the endorsement must be submitted with the grant application.
1) Student organizations can request any amount up to *50% of the total cost of the event. The SGA may vote to reject the request, approve the request in full, or approve an amount less than that requested.
*If the event itself is educational in nature (i.e. seminar, workshop, leadership series, etc.), an amount greater than 50% of the total cost may be requested. Additionally, if the SGA is approached and decides to officially co-sponsor the event, rather than simply supporting the event financially, an amount greater than 50% may be requested. A co-sponsored event means that the requesting student organization and MUSC SGA would share not only the cost, but also the promotion and management of an event.
2) All events or activities supported by SGA funds must be advertised and open to participation by the entire MUSC student body. In addition, the participation fee must be the same for all MUSC students.
3) SGA funds may not be used to make a direct monetary donation, pay dues or purchase individual memberships in professional organizations.
4) A group can only receive funds once per academic year and no more than two consecutive years.
5) If the event is cancelled, the student organization must inform the executive committee who will then decide on the procedure to follow.
6) If the grant applicant is also a representative of the SGA, they will be able to vote for the grant request.
Questions? Contact Nour Hijazi at [email protected]